Property Location5km west of Lucindale, South Australia
Situated on the outskirts of Lucindale on Country Club Road, Brooklyn station was purchased by the company in 1952. Over time, adjoining properties have been added to the initial block, most notably in 1973 when 'Omar' was purchased, doubling the size of the property. Omar is located directly to the south east of Brooklyn across the former Naracoorte-Kingston Railway and is run as a single operation. A further acquisition in 2015 extended the Omar block.
With a sand over clay soil profile, pasture production had been limited due to the effects of non-wetting sands. An ongoing project is to spread clay over these paddocks and has resulted in a vast increase in pasture.
The property is a spring shearer with an annual production of around 400 bales of fine 17.5 micron merino wool. In 2017 the company's Angus beef stud was brought in-house at Brooklyn Station. This stud provides bulls for the company's commercial herds as well as to other related parties.
Following the collapse of the wool floor price in 1991, the company developed a native flower and protea plantation on the Brooklyn block. This plantation is highly compatible with the grazing operation as it thrives on the less productive soil types, as well as providing erosion protection. The plantation is currently leased.
More properties in the South East South Australia Region
Located to close to the coastal town of Kingston SE, Ashmore Station was the company's first South Eastern purchase in 1936.
Nepowie Station is home to the company's two internal merino studs.
Located at Greenways on the Princes Highway, Konetta station produces fine wool, award winning prime lamb and beef.